[conspire] Fc5 FW Enclosure

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Oct 2 13:52:59 PDT 2006

On 10/1/06, John Andrews <jla1200 at netzero.net> wrote:
> I still can't get the external Fw 250gb harddrive to mount in Fc5. It shows up
> on the screen but it's not mounted.Its shows up as a flash type device not a
> Hd. The small 128 mb flash stick mounts fine.Plus it says can't find /dev/sda
> in /etc/fstab.
>
> [jla at localhost etc]$ cat fstab
> LABEL=/1                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hdb5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hdb6               /media/kubuntu          ext3    user            0 0
>
> The flash stick doesn't have a special entry. Maybe it get mixed up with
> sda,sda1.

You might want to post the results of ...

  cat /proc/partitions

... to the list.  That would make it easier to help you.

A handy way to differentiate drives that are dynamically assigned is
to use the symlinks that modern versions of udev create in
/dev/disk/by-uuid.  Can you post the results of...

  ls -lrt /dev/disk/by-uuid/

...to the list?

> Also I have to remake the modem link every time. i.e /dev  ln -s  modem ttyS0
> how can I make that permanent?

Read the udev howto.