[conspire] MP3 players

Edmund J. Biow biow at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 30 18:53:34 PST 2006

> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:55:51 -0800 From: Bill Moseley
> <moseley at hank.org> Subject: Re: [conspire] MP3 players To:
> conspire at linuxmafia.com Message-ID: <20061130055551.GB31191 at hank.org>
> 04:52:07PM -0800, Edmund J. Biow wrote:
>> > http://www.salescircular.com/ca/audio/mp3plp.shtml
>>

> Nice.
>

>> > I've got the $40 Office Despot Sansa (or rather, an older 512 MB
>> > version).  It works well, but for some reason and I can manipulate the
>> > files from Linux, but for some reason it doesn't order the songs in the
>> > correct alpha-numeric sequence, maybe mine is screwed up?
>>

> I think this is the one I was looking at a few days ago on-line.
>
> So you just access it like a USB drive -- rsync or whatever to copy
> files?

It comes with a cheesy little proprietary USB cable.  Linux seems to
just see it as a flash drive.
> But the sorting isn't working correctly with yours?  And you have ID3
> tags on your files?

It does have tags.

I wonder if I didn't screw something up using the thing with Linux.  It
comes with a stupid little Windows binary to muck with files.  I just
bypassed it and started copying directories of files to the thing from
Linux, which seemed to work.  Maybe if I wiped the directories used the
Windows interface it would sort the files in the proper order.   I don't
have time to muck with it at the moment, though.  If that fixes it I'll
report back, because it is a nice little unit and if it weren't for the
sorting issue I'd be very happy with it.  On Black Friday they were
selling the 2 GB versions for $35 at a couple of stores.

> http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/retail/Sansa_ug_Eng_m200.pdf
>
>     Sophisticated music library sorting lets you browse the music in your player by artist,
>     album, song title, genre, year, playlist, and other useful criteria.
>

> Thanks for the help -- and from everyone else, too!
>

> I remember years back (way back - before Walkmans existed even) that I
> thought it would be cool to have a personal stereo for skiing.  A
> friend took a "portable" cassette player and cut it in half with a band
> saw and we hooked it up to a small home made amp and stuck in in a
> back pack with a bunch of C batteries.  Sounded like crap IIRC.

I read some speculation last week that suggested that in 10 years a
device the size of a cell phone could contain all the video content ever
made.  Of course, by the time the DMCA Mark IV will make RIAA cortical
implants necessary for all people who access any digital data (like your
shiny new RFID GPS tracking omni-passports that will cost you a week's
wages and be required ID for any electronic transactions).