[conspire] MP3 players

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 20:19:57 PST 2006

On 11/29/06, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> I'm looking for a small MP3 player for use by my son.  Before I set
> off shopping I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on good units.
>
> I'm looking in the < $100 range (really less than that because of the
> likely chance of it being lost, dropped, stepped on...).
>
> I assume most of the smaller players just look like USB drives and I
> can mount and copy directly to it.
>
> Doesn't seem like any of the inexpensive players support Ogg Vorbis.

I've got one of the iAudio 1GB some time back (mine was actually white
not black,
with a nice clear backlit blue screen), it's still a bit expensive, $80 here:
  http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=387516&prodlist=froogle
It does playback OGG (with slightly higher battery drain) but can only record
audio as mp3 files. It has a tuner, and can record from the tuner.
The user interface is fairly good, at least I'm a big fan of it.
It's mostly controlled by just the one "stick", with three buttons
along the side
of the unit for power-on, record and mode if I remember correctly.