[conspire] MP3 players

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Nov 29 10:22:02 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 09:45:44AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bill Moseley (moseley at hank.org):
>
> > I'm looking for a small MP3 player for use by my son.  Before I set
> > off shopping I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on good units.
> >
> > I'm looking in the < $100 range (really less than that because of the
> > likely chance of it being lost, dropped, stepped on...).
> >
> > I assume most of the smaller players just look like USB drives and I
> > can mount and copy directly to it.
> >
> > Doesn't seem like any of the inexpensive players support Ogg Vorbis.
>
> They do[1], after you load Rockbox onto them:  http://www.rockbox.org/
> (Clever how I added Linux relevance to this thread, eh?  ;->  )

Ah, that's good to know.  Very nice.  Supported players might be out
of my price range for this round, but something to watch for next
time.  I'll watch the used market.

My son is in almost 10, so it's about time to get him a Linux box on his
desk.  His teacher accepts typed assignments -- more than I did in 4th
grade!

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org