[conspire] RAM upgrade -- mix with different CAS Latency?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Nov 15 17:06:29 PST 2006

I've got a machine with 512MB of PC2700 in a Asus P4PE board.  It's a
Kingston "ValueRam" KVR333x64c25/512 memory module.

I'm not clear what I can mix with it.  Does it have to be PC2700, or
could I use PC3200, for example.  And can memory in the same machine
have mixed CAS Latency installed?

For example could I combine with:

512MB DDR DIMM 184-pin 400MHz PC3200
MFG#: KVR400X64C3A/512

Which has a CAS of 3.

Just looking at CDW as an example, it looks like the PC3200 is less
money than the PC2700 in many cases.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results.aspx?key=valueram&sr=1&platform=all&x=0&y=0

Poor machine has a fan going out in it's power supply, too.  It's got an
Antec SP-350, which I have in a few machines.  First problem with that
supply.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org