[conspire] (offtopic:) Obligatory Election Day reminder

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 7 16:55:23 PST 2006

A CABAL attendee actually telephoned me and suggested I send out this
gentle reminder.  ("I'm Rick Moen, and I approve this message.")
In case y'all have been living in a cave -- and I'm addressing, here,
the majority of the mailing list's membership who're in the USA -- today
is the day of midterm elections.  Locally, that means a huge slate of
state propositions, all major state offices, one US Senator, your local
congresscritter, and quite a lot of local and regional issues.

Polls are open until 8 PM!  If you're registered to vote, you have until
then to drag yourself down to your local precinct.  Yes, many counties
are offering some form of electronic voting.  (San Mateo County is offering
a PDA-like thing called an "eSlate".)  No, you're not forced to use
them; the magic words are "Paper ballot, please."

You don't have to vote (unless you're in Austrlia); but then, you're
leaving the important decisions entirely up to people like me, and
that _obviously_ isn't good for you, right?

So, take your pick:

o  Vote, or
o  Trust Me.

ObLinux:  There are electronic voting machines based entirely on
Linux and open source.  I'm hoping Ed Cherlin will tell us more.

BTW:  If you get cable television or can guilt-trip someone who does,
see tonight's "The Daily Show and The Colbert Report's Midterm
Midtacular" on Comedy Central.