[conspire] restoring ctrl-w as delete-word

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Tue May 30 13:10:53 PDT 2006

Gentlemen, Ladies,

I've just finally figured out how to bind ctrl-w to delete-word in the
URL address bar of Galeon (2.0.1) and Firefox (1.5.0.2), and in the
message area of Gaim (v1.5.1cvs), and bind these keys as well:

    ctrl-a: beginning-of-line
    ctrl-e: end-of-line
    ctrl-k: kill-to-end-of-line
    ctrl-u: kill-to-beginning-of-line

, by putting these lines into a new $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 file:

    include "/usr/share/themes/Emacs/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc"
    gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
    gtk-can-change-accels = 1

However, in Gaim I needed to utilize this following hack, as well, to
disable its draconian ctrl-w-closes-windows behavior:

    --[Preferences]--
    Interface
      Conversations
        Shortcuts
          Window Closing
          [x] Escape closes window

Without this setting enabled, ctrl-w performs *both* delete-word and
close-window. Arg. It was my impression from browsing various web sites
that "gtk-can-change-accels = 1" would eliminate this window-closing
behavior, but it doesn't appear to be so, and that line doesn't seem to
be giving me any benefit.

Does anyone know otherwise or have a cleaner solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Eric
--
Eric De Mund