[conspire] Ehhh... Linux image problem, ya think?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 23 11:13:48 PDT 2006

[CCing Phil Z.]

> "As usual, Mac OS X users will find the installation procedure
> self-explanatory. Linux users will actually have to compile the source
> code and build it, but we figured typical Linux weenies can handle that.
> Later, we will provide Linux binaries so you won't have to build it."
>
> Taken from:
> http://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/zfone/index-start.html

Translation:  Zfone can't be bothered to do proper package formats,
because they're clueless about same.

It should be noted that OS X, shockingly for a 2006 operating system,
has no package management whatsoever.  Even Windows XP has basic program
registration with the system and the Add and Remove Programs Control
Panel, but OS X has nada.

I was quite flabbergasted to observe, on OS X, that there's no canonical
way to remove a software package, because there is in fact no software
package system in the first place.  In theory, you'd have to hunt down
all the little pieces of some program and remove them.  In practice, you
either just delete the parts you can find and hope for the best, or wait
until the next full system rebuild to dispose of the problem.