[conspire] accounting software

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Mon May 1 21:40:20 PDT 2006

On 5/1/06, bruce coston <jane_ikari at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Am recommending GnuCash to a reverend friend who runs the holy chocolate for
> profit business and needs to computerize .

I found GnuCash to match very well to how
real accounting should be done. It's a wiser
choice to use it, as it really makes you think
about fundamental accounting stuff like setting
up your chart of accounts properly.

I haven't studied "interfacing" it to any other
software, because I don't trust the numbers
generated by the "other software". You'd be
surprised what things GnuCash catches. There's
also a certain sense of accomplishment in doing
things "by the book", when you enter the numbers
yourself. Maybe I'm old-fashioned. What, already?

> But he needs windows , making
> this post less linux - ey .

Well, needs and "is used to" are different
things. For selling chocolate, the margins
must be really something if they can cover
the cost of Microsoft software (including the
time cost, when corruptions occur).

> People here have a chance of knowing about gpl
> accounting software . Am interested in quick books import etc.

Hmm. I had noticed that format seems
increasingly popular as an "export" format
from various financial institutions. I
vaguely remember giving it a try for a list
of check stubs that could be exported, and it
seemed to work OK, but I didn't go very far
with it. To use GnuCash you really need
to have all systems agreeing on the account
names, and it's pretty awkward to control
where the quickbooks import is going to
import to. I only used it on a new file,
to take a look if it would work.

> Does GnuCash
> work well under a vm on 2000?

Not sure, do you mean a linux virtual machine
running inside VMware on Windows 2000?
I think it would be fine, albiet expensive
in licensing costs :)

> Is the only 1 check per time defect gone?

Not sure about that one. Per time?

> He needs to interface with some e-business
> stuff online.

For selling chocolate? How big is this
business??

> Is the lack of handling csv format fixed?

I don't remember having had any need to
import csv. Usually I just enter all numbers
manually, kinda tedious.

> Is there some other product that will really do
> the deed?

Hmm, well GnuCash will do accounting very well,
and the reports are well worth the time spent
on entering all the info.