[conspire] Creepy Web 2.0-service sales come-on

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Tue Mar 28 11:03:41 PST 2006

begin Rick Moen quotation of Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:51:12PM -0800:

> Plaxo's botmail looks like:
>
>   "I'm updating my address book. Please take a moment to update your
>   latest contact information. Your information is stored in my personal
>   address book and will not be shared with anyone else. Plaxo is free,
>   if you'd like to give it a try.
>   Click the following link to correct or confirm your information:
>   https://www.plaxo.com/edit_contact_info?r=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

> At that point, I _think_ I suddenly noticed that I was being prompted to
> enter a contractual relationship with some company I'd never heard of
> (Plaxo, Inc.), and decided I wasn't interested.

Plaxo's CEO has apologized:
  http://blog.plaxo.com/archives/2006/03/an_apology.html

(which of course doesn't get your mail-deleting
time back, but at least gives an example to future
services that Plaxo went too far.)

I think I figured out a brief definition for "Web
2.0", by the way.  On Web 2.0, application uses YOU!

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/blosxom/www/on-web-20.html

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/