[conspire] External Hayes Serial Modem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 16 12:33:39 PST 2006

Quoting Calvin Wong (deadcat at freeshell.org):

> * john andrews <jla1200 at netzero.net> [2006-03-16 11:12:25 -0800]:
>
> > Does anyone have an external hayes type serial modem to sell?I need
> > one for my second computer and would buy it from you at the meeting
> > at rick's house.
> i don't know whats an external hayes type, but i have this serial
> modem for sale:
> http://gallery.sshonly.sytes.net/for.sale/hardware/20050501_canonS230_1480.jpg
> 56K, serial modem, i used it before switching to dsl/wireless.

That'll meet John's needs, fine.  He really just meant "external RS-232C
serial modem".  Thanks for speaking up, Calvin.

"Hayes-type" is a qualifier that many of us old fogies apply
reflexively, but it's really not needed:  To the extent that's useful,
all commodity modems have been Hayes-compatible (mostly a reference to
the "AT" command language) for a very long time, anyway.  There hasn't
even been a Hayes Communications _company_ since 1998.

Back when a ran a public BBS for six years, I had to know pretty much
the entire body of modem lore.  Thank _ghod_ that's no longer necessary,
and that I'm slowly reclaiming those neurons for other things.  ;->

And in conclusion, go U.S. Robotics (er, 3Com)!  Forward into the past!