[conspire] HP OmniBook XE2: live CD challenge

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Jun 23 21:16:40 PDT 2006

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:57:43 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Alexander Grundner <alexsfbay at yahoo.com> -----
>
> Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:41:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Alexander Grundner <alexsfbay at yahoo.com>
> To: installers at linuxmafia.com
> Subject: Notebook Details
>
> Hi!
>
> I'll be participating in tomorrow's installfest and
> I'm bring my laptop that I can't seem to be able to
> install any distro or run a Live CD on. I've tried
> Knoppix, Ubuntu, DSL, and nothing :(
>
> Laptop Details:
> HP OminBook XE2
> 333 Mhz Pentium II
> 128 MB of RAM
> 6GB hard drive
>
> * I'd prefer getting the Live CD to work before I wipe
> the hard drive for clean install.
>
> See ya tomorrow!
>
> -Alex

> http://mail.yahoo.com

I thought I'd see what info I could find on the XE2. It looks like we must
first determine whether this unit is an XE2-DB, an XE2-DC, an XE2-DD, an
XE2-DE, or an XE2-DI. You will need your original Windows install discs to
do the Linuxing properly, and I mean the ones that originally came with
the machine, not any others. Can you take a look at the bottom of the unit
and report the HP model number near the bar code that consists of an F,
four digits, and one or two letters?