[conspire] (forw) "sources.list" generator

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Jun 9 14:59:35 PDT 2006

I was aware of that utility, but last I looked at it, it still required
the user to have some idea of what would not only be needed now, but down
the line. For this reason, and for the reason that I don't quite like the
utility's choice of repositories, I generally recommend against its use in
favor of the repository lists I have prepared myself for general use. For
5.10 Breezy Badger, the pre-prepared file may be found at:
http://linuxmafia.com/isos/breezy/sources.list
It has repositories for most non-obscure things one might want, and
nothing that could interfere with the core system, making it relatively
ideal. However, it is a bit i386-centric, but amd64 and powerpc users may
simply comment out the specific lines that trigger apt errors on those
architectures. Note on use: Since the file makes use of a couple of Dennis
Kaarsemaker's repositories, his package-signing key must be imported into
the apt system before trying to use this file. I have begun an attempt to
also keep as finely tuned a file for 6.06 Dapper Drake, but I have not yet
tested it. It is here:
http://linuxmafia.com/isos/dapper/sources.list
I also have a similar folder of files that should go into /etc/apt for
straight Debian, originally based on the setup Rick personally uses:
http://linuxmafia.com/isos/debian/