[conspire] Ubuntu 6.06 LTS "Dapper Drake" has been released

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 1 12:56:20 PDT 2006

> >> Products are:
> >>   o  Stable release, at approx. 6 month intervals.
> >>   o  Rolling development platform.  In the past, this has been based
> >>      on periodic snapshots of Debian-unstable.  Unverified talk
> >>      suggests the latter practice may cease as no longer needed.
>
> In favor of what? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

In favour of _ceasing_ to re-sync at 6-month intervals, thereby forking
off permanently their own repository, sharing only the developer
upstream.

> That must be new, as -server did not previously install X by default.

I go only by the package descriptions on their site, having never yet
installed that variant.

> Almost: The settings in /etc/alternatives may vary, as may other files
> that are not directly managed with debconf.

All those things are a local configuration matter, and not distro structure.
The point, which you are disregarding, is the modular nature of the
system (base + metapackages) and the existence of the shared, identical,
underlying base distribution.

> > (They admit that this scheme will break in 2100, but figure they'll burn
> > that bridge when they come to it.)
>
> Not necessarily. 2006 is also the 6th year of the 3rd millennium, so it
> would still fit the pattern to have a 100.10 version in October of 2100.

I meant, obviously, that their numbering scheme will break at the _end_
of 2100.