[conspire] Encrypt linuxmafia mail list web interface page?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 31 16:36:17 PDT 2006

Quoting Hereon (hereon1 at fastmail.us):

> Hi Rick - More work for you! [ :) ]
>
> Would it be worthwhile to encrypt from
> onward?
>
> Logging in over a wifi link exposes login password.
>
> (Yes, I know there are likely many higher priority issues. :) )

I assume you must be talking about the "password" for login to your
individual subscription options.  Here's the extent of damage that could
be done by someone who stole that password:  He/she could change your
subscription to "nomail", or set you to digest mode, or set your
language choice for the administrative screens to Norwegian.

That password is the one you were advised at the time you joined would
be very low-security, and that is automatically e-mailed to you, across
the open Internet, on the first of every month.

If you find that your subscription options have been set to Norwegian by
some malefactor, let me know.  Tusand tak!

(In short, nope, those Web screens are unencrypted by design, same as
with all other Mailman installations.)

-- Rick M.