[conspire] Safe NTFS read/write driver for Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 18 14:34:02 PDT 2006

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=23836054&forum_id=2697

(I'm posting that URL for future reference, since I expect to keep
hearing people say for _years_ into the future that Linux NTFS
support is unsafe.)

The author is the same gentleman who wrote ntfsresize, and helped me
extensively with my knowledgebase's article on NTFS resizing.

   From: Szakacsits Szabolcs <szaka at sienet.hu>
   [announcement] ntfs-3g: open source read-write driver
   2006-07-14 10:39

   As part of the Linux-NTFS project, I'm happy to announce my
   contribution to ntfsmount and libntfs which resulted ntfs-3g, a
   read-write ntfs driver, capable for unlimited file creation and
   deletion.

   The driver was successfully tested very exhaustively for a longer
   period of time by many ways and methods, creating and destroying
   millions of files and directories on newly created images, and on
   over 40 real, very diverse NTFS images collected over the last four
   years.

   The README file is copied below which includes more general,
   performance and quality information with answers and future plans.

   Please make a backup of your NTFS volume by ntfsclone and try to
   reproducible break ntfs-3g, if you can. If you are able to do so
   then please let us know, preferable providing your NTFS metadata
   image, if it couln't be reproduced by other ways.

   The driver can be downloaded from

   http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfs-3g-20070714-BETA.tgz

   Please note that I'm leaving for an over 5,000 km long Far North and
   Arctic Ocean advanture on Sunday morning (European time) and won't be
   able to read and answer emails for almost a month (no, I'm not
   escaping, I plan to come back alive ;). Originally I planned to fix
   all the minor issues listed below but no more time left for me and I
   think it's better to release now, in case I would get lost somewhere
   on the road ;) Well, actually I hope that most issues will be
   resolved when I'm back!

   Happy testing, problem reporting and coding,

        -- Szaka

   [...]

I expect I'll be needing to Google-search this post quite a lot, in the
future, to refute the inevitable claims to the contrary.