[conspire] Transition from job policy to membership quality, SF-LUG

jim stockford jim at well.com
Wed Jul 12 17:36:00 PDT 2006

    As to policy, I stand firm: if the membership discusses and
coalesces around a policy, I'll doc it.
    There's no agreed proscription against; a statement
prohibiting job postings would not reflect the group sentiment.
    Some statement to the effect that job postings are okay
needlessly invites such and also doesn't truly represent the
group's sentiment.
    A statement that we have not agreed on a policy on job
postings, which is the truth, seems silly.

    The group has leaders who pop up from time to time, and
that suits me fine. I am prominent enough as it is without
penning policy statements prior to discussion. I am afraid
of anyone being too prominent--don't like the idea of
so-and-so's group.

transition.... Rick, I read an ad hominem element to your
writing, no offense taken, thanks for making me think,
regardless of your intention.

    Quality of membership, tire-kickers division: if membership
is those who've joined the mailing list, we have some
knowledgeable and experienced members, we have some
newbies, we have some that require particular categorization
(or not). The number is in the 70s, I believe, with over 80
email names registered (less Dierdre's recently, I was
sorry to see).
    I think it's a reasonable mix and insufficient in number.
    I have in the works brochures to distribute through the
neighborhoods (design paid for, partly written, not-yet-printed).
I believe if the number on the mailing list exceeds 150 we'll
have reached a critical threshold (tipping point) where there'll
be a steady stream of good quality technical material in the
email. I hope to get around to it.
    Tire-kickers should be welcome, in my view (if the group
decides not, it'll be despite my strenuous defense).
    I am sure many have booted from a live CD--I'm guessing
more than half. I know for a fact that over 20% have installed
Linux, a few with full-blown networks at their homes (this
based on visits to homes and/or conversations verifying).
    As to all of us learning, I have set up a network with sshd
access and repeatedly invited people to play. A few take
me up on getting a login and maybe log in but never explore--
the reason I spent the several thousand dollars to get the
set up. I figure it's too much of a toy to inspire diligence.
    The rhce.linuxmafia.com site has generated no comments,
though I have yet to put in real meat.
    On the bright side, when people post problems, others
post pretty good solutions, at least sometimes.
    I would love the group to develop skills together, me
included (me especially--my selfish point of view). If you
have suggestions, please make them; I'll do the work,
spend the money, promote, cry alone, all the stuff needed
to try to fly a new plan.
    I.e. specifics wanted on how to get tire-kickers to grow.