[conspire] Daniel, Rick - Howto ubuntu pull latest kernel into Breezy

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 21 22:43:09 PST 2006

Quoting Hereon (hereon1 at fastmail.us):

> 1) Exactly what was the /etc/apt/sources.list line for dapper?

Googling on "dapper sources.list" brings up this set of default lines
in the dapper rc2 beta:

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists dapper-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists dapper-updates main restricted
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists dapper universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists dapper universe
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists dapper-backports main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists dapper-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted
# deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dapper-security universe
# deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dapper-security universe

I've stripped comments -- which might be seens as vital, along the lines
of "leave this section uncommented if you're not sure it's a good idea."
The further you depart from Main (into universe, multiverse, etc.) the
further from full support/maintenance you're becoming, not to mention
the fact that dapper is still three months from release.

In general terms:  Experimental software can mess up your system.  Add
it to your system only if you're prepared to assume the risk and deal
with any mishaps.

> 2a) Can you come up with the list of packages?

Suggestion:  Just let aptitude or apt-get (etc.) take care of
dependencies.