[conspire] Creepy Web 2.0-service sales come-on

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 18 09:26:59 PST 2006

Quoting Sean Berry (berry at housebsd.org):

> I've sent a few of these, and it does make me somewhat uncomfortable, but
> would it be that much better if it instead came from a generic sending
> address?

Well, it would at least not be deceptive on their part.  Mind you, I
meant no criticism of you or other LinkedIn customers; my comment was
directed towards LinkedIn Corporation management, who contrived the
arrangement.

One of the many reasons I host my own data and computing resources is to
avoid having to buy into various firms' manipulative sales schemes.
(Actually, I do it for other reasons entirely, but the advantage occurs
to me as an afterthought.)

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      "vi is my shepherd; I shall not font."