[conspire] Creepy Web 2.0-service sales come-on

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 18 08:36:53 PST 2006

Here's a verbatim example of something I talk about near the beginning
of http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/winolj.html , my "Rick Moen
INOLJ-OOW2.0C (Is Not On LiveJournal Or Other Web 2.0 Cults)" essay.
Maybe it's just me, but it strikes me as a pretty damned creepy
sales come-on.

I've altered the example to protect my friend's privacy, but imagine you
know Sam Jones, his mail addres, etc. reallly well.  Most people don't
view full SMTP headers, so it really does seem to be personal mail from
Sam, recommending an "interesting business tool".  He starts out with
"Rick," closes with "-- Sam", and the sender "From:" SMTP header is
_forged_ to use Sam's real e-mail address.

Note that latter point:  It uses some of the same forge-mail techniques
that the spammers use to hide themselves.  Only the (normally hidden)
Return-path envelope header and Received headers are valid.

Yes, Sam undoubtedly did in _some_ sense authorise the sending of this
"invitation" mail on his behalf -- but he sure as hell didn't write it
or send it from his personal e-mail address, as is falsely claimed.

----- Forwarded message from Sam Jones <sam at dnull.com> -----