[conspire] A sometimes scarily small community, is ours

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 1 01:01:40 PST 2006

I'm aware that this quotes part of someone else's private mail, and more
than the three or four lines of nondescript technical query that I
usually shrug off as unimportant in these forwards -- but Jim had
already CCed quite a number of other people, so I'm not exactly breaking
a confidence.

Jim had written a blog entry reporting what he believed (in error to be
a case of plagiarism, thinking that Eric Raymond, with whom I
co-authored the essay "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way", had
willfully deprived me of author credit -- when in fact Eric had simply
_not_ done what Jim asserted, willfully or not.  The justification for
that claim was a bit weird, but it was an honest mistake.  He wrote an
e-mail to a large number of people including me, confronting Eric on his
supposed misdeed -- and was quite surprised to get a reply from me
telling him he was fundamentally mistaken on both his facts and his
inferences.

That all got more-or-less straightened out, and, to my knowledge,
nobody's lastingly annoyed at anyone else.  I am forwarding this late
entry in our exchanges for some more-general observations I hope will be
of broader interest.