[conspire] Ubuntu booting on Sun Niagara

Adrien Lamothe a_lamothe at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 19:44:05 PST 2006

I stumbled across a boot log allegedly from an Ubuntu (Dapper Drake) boot
on one of Sun's new Niagara systems. The URL is:

What is really cool is that the single chip presents 32 processors to the
kernel (8 execution cores of 4 threads each.) Damn, I've been waiting a
while to do more multi-threaded programming! Now everyone is going

I haven't been able to find a comparable artifact for IBM's new Cell
Processor. I did find a page that talks about IBM's new boot firmware,
based on Open Firmware, that they plan to use for their Cell blades:

It was great seeing all of you again Saturday.

Yahoo! Mail