[conspire] puzzled about printing port 9100 and guarddog

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 15:00:29 PST 2006

On 2/12/06, Breen Mullins <bpm at idiom.com> wrote:
> You can get a greatly expanded services file from nmap.
> That file tells me that 9100 is for HP JetDirect cards.

Hi Breen,

Ahh, indeed, thanks!
Using Debian here, I see what you mean:
dpkg -L nmap|grep services
/usr/share/nmap/nmap-services
cat /usr/share/nmap/nmap-services|grep 9100
jetdirect         9100/tcp   # HP JetDirect card

The printer I'm using here is a Minolta 2300DL,
http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/LinuxHardwareInfoMinoltaMagicolor2300DL
so I guess it just happens to use the same port
number as the HP printers.

I hadn't thought much about which port was
being used, until after enabling guarddog,
and remembering that I'd just cut'n'pasted
the 9100 port number from an HP configuration
I'd used before.

Thanks,
Peter.