[conspire] Partitioning problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 7 18:17:22 PST 2006

Quoting Roger Chrisman (roger at rogerchrisman.com):

> I think Rick Moen is competent enough to make using software RAID a
> sum gain in utility and reliability.

Roger, you're welcome to flatter me any time ;-> , but, really, I
tend to be years behind the times in tricks used on my servers.  Partly,
that's because I'm a coward and want to benefit from other people's
experience, rather than be a pioneer.  Also, the last half-decade my
hardware's been so trailing edge that some new features didn't seem to
have much point (e.g., 2.6 kernels' SMP improvements weren't much use on
my aging single-proc systems).

Partitioning, in any event, is an extremely debatable topic that people
have a huge range of views on.  A few principles are settled matters,
but there are many things that involve guestimates and SWAGs.

Anyhow, thank you, and I'm definitely reading up rapidly on these
topics.  In fact, I think I'm about ready to build this sucker.   Here's
the revised filesystem layout, taking into account some excellent
suggestions from the SVLUG mailing list.  (This is almost /etc/fstab
format, except for the extraneous "Size" column that's present for
reference -- and except for the bracketed stuff.)

Filesystem  Size  Mounted on  FStype  Options                     Dump  Pass
/dev/sda1   200M  /boot       ext2    nodev,nosuid,noexec         0     2
/dev/sda6   500M  [swap]      [swap]  sw,pri=1                    0     0
/dev/sda8  6000M  /var        ext2    noatime,nodev,nosuid        0     2
/dev/sda9  1000M  /           ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro  0     1
/dev/sda10 1000M  [recovery]  ext3    rw,noauto                   0     2
/dev/sda11 5000M  /usr        ext2    nodev,ro                    0     2
[rest of sda unallocated, for now]

/dev/md0   2000M  /var/www    ext3    nodev,nosuid                0     2
/dev/md1   1500M  /var/lib    ext3    nodev                       0     2
/dev/md2   3000M  /var/spool  ext3    noatime,nodev,nosuid        0     2
/dev/md3    500M  [swap]      [swap]  sw,pri=2                    0     0
/dev/md4   6000M  /home       ext3    nodev,nosuid                0     2
/dev/md5   5000M  /usr/local  ext3    defaults                    0     2

/dev/fd0          /media/floppy  auto rw,user,noauto              0     0
/dev/hda          /media/cdrom   iso9660 ro,user,noauto           0     0

tmpfs             /tmp        tmpfs   defaults                    0     0
tmpfs             /dev/shm    tmpfs   defaults                    0     0
proc              /proc       proc    defaults                    0     0
devpts            /dev/pts    devpts  gid=5,mode=620              0     0
sysfs             /sys        sysfs   noauto                      0     0

Reminder to myself: Check supplies for more compatible SDRAM sticks.

> It is prudent to regularly backup one's valuable data to elsewhere
> regardless. That is of a higher order of importance than running
> software RAID and one I have not yet accomplished myself.

Please remind me to post a few things about this, later.