[conspire] Installing Ubuntu on PPC/FW Drive

John Andrews jla1200 at netzero.net
Sat Dec 30 22:41:30 PST 2006

I tried to install the live cd Dapper Drake on a G3 imac. I could
only get it to start in the text mode. I tried startx and got some
error messages.(a long list). I read to remove the/tmp/.X0-lock file
and then restart x with it's own unique number i.e.
startx --:1. That didn't work either.It kept saying gdm was already
running. After some poking around you get to a blue screen with a
message that x was not starting right and must be configured wrong.
it mentions looking at /etc/X11/Xorg.conf and var/log/xorg. I really
don't know to configure X11.I have two questions.
	1. How do I get that error info out of the live terminal?
startx>video.txt? Then copy it to a usbstick.
	2. Could I start the installation from text mode?I need partitioning
and to be able to install it to the FW drive.I'm not sure what the FW
drive is called maybe /dev/hdb2. Can I start to install by going to
cdrom directory and then there are several files inside the install
folder. boot.msg, ofboot.b, pegasos, udeb.list, yaboot , and
yaboot.conf.
	3. Is there an easier install than that? The alternate? cd.
	4. If I install with the X not working will X be configured
correctly later?