[conspire] questions re firewire pci card and firewire enclosure for 30GB hard drive

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Thu Dec 28 14:21:09 PST 2006

Since my VA Linux 420 only has a slot for one hard drive,
and I purchased a 400GB ATA, I want to use the 400GB as
the internal drive and move the 30GB hard drive as an
external drive.

I checked
http://centralcomputers.com and
http://www.microcenter.com
for firewire cards.

I also called Central Computers in Santa Clara asking how
much a firewire card costs. I was told they had one in
stock for $14.95. Since the prices are very different,
I want to make sure I'm buying the right part for what I
need.

I also will need to purchase a firewire enclosure for my
30GB hard drive. I'm assuming I need to buy a 3.5" firewire
enclosure. Daniel mentioned something about Oxford w/911
chip - I do not know what that means.

Also, I googled "firewire card" and looked at:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/
which only leaves me with more questions.
http://www.firewire-1394.com/what-is-firewire-800.htm
http://www.firewire-1394.com/what_is_firewire.htm
Will the FireWire 400 not be supported soon? Does it
matter?

I do not buy online so I'll either get the card and
enclosure at Central Computers or Micro Center.

Are there recommendations for brand(s) for the
firewire pci card?

Are there recommendations for the brand(s) for the
firewire hard drive enclosure?

Thank you for your attention and consideration,

Darlene Wallach