[conspire] One way to test system RAM

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Thu Dec 28 12:09:21 PST 2006

] I determined a few days ago that my "new" 2001-era VA Linux Systems
] model 2230 2U rackmount server, the intended replacement for the cur-
] rent linuxmafia.com box, really _did_ have two defective sticks of
] RAM, out of four total.
] [...]
] Anyhow, I did bite the bullet and buy replacements from S.A. Technolo-
] gies, Inc. of Santa Clara (www.satech.com). They arrived Wednesday
] afternoon -- and I faced a pleasantly unfamiliar problem: How do you
] torture-test a Linux server with prodigious (by my rather laughable
] standards) amounts of RAM?
] This is what I came up with:
] # cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.16
] # while : ; do make clean && make -j 256 ; done

Point of clarification: May I ask why you're using a home-grown method
rather than the exceptionally thorough Memtest86 <http://memtest86.com/>?
In past years I've had good luck with Memtest86, both for clients and
personally. Note that in some cases on slower machines it has taken 20+
hours to run to completion.

Are you trying to perform some test other than a "thorough, stand-alone
memory test (for x86 architecture computers)", which is how Memtest86
bills itself?

"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it." --fortune(6) cookie

Eric De Mund              |      Ixian Systems      |
email: <ead at ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | ICQ: 811788
http://www.ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | Y!M: ead0002