[conspire] Fwd: Ubuntu 6.10

David E. Fox dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com
Wed Dec 27 19:05:48 PST 2006

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:25:34 -0800
"Edmund J. Biow" <biow at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> A few distros currently support Compiz for the reverse engineered open
> source ATI driver, but until very recently if you wanted wobbly windows
> with your Radeon you needed the proprietary FGLRX driver.  And

Hmm. Is there much of a chance of getting this to work on a somewhat
underpowered Athlon 1000 with a Matrox G450? I have done limited
work with compositing in kde (and xfce's built in compositor) --
compiz works, the eye candy works, but is understandably sluggish --
but the windows are too small to be of use. For instance, sylpheed willl
open in a ridiculously tiny window -- so small it is unusable, and it
can't be adjusted. Other windows are reduced by about 50% - and it even
seems like compiz is only using the first half of the screen (left to
center -- the kde panel is shrunk to half its size.)  DRI is enabled,
and does work -- but don't expect thousands of fps in glxgears :(.

> By the way, I've heard it bruited about that Compiz doesn't require much
> pop from a video card to get all the pretty effects, but I've got to

I got that idea, but also had been initially discouraged from trying it
because of a perception that it needed much more recent video cards of
the supercomputer variety (think about it -- does anyone really *need*
256 megs on a video card?) :)

dfox at tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.