[conspire] question about EIDE ATA hard drive to buy

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Dec 21 09:39:07 PST 2006

begin Rick Moen quotation of Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 09:20:52PM -0800:

> I'll bet *I* could have run farms of those 60GXP and 75GXP drives, and
> so could any sysadmin, without failure rates above industry average --
> because we actually _check_ how hot equipment is running, and
> fix hot spots before something gets fried.

Nice of the manufacturers to put a thermometer on
each drive, isn't it?

smartd logs this, along with other drive self-test info.
  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6983

Rick, what drive temperatures do you consider to be
"needs work" and "needs immediate attention" points?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/