[conspire] question about DVD writer

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Dec 20 19:26:23 PST 2006

Quoting David E. Fox (dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com):

> Since then, drives have plummmeted, and I don't see a benefit
> for a combo drive, given that:
>
> * DVD r/w drives can read and write CD media as well
> * are very cheap these days

Notwithstanding which, if you ever need to burn (say) 670 MB-or-smaller
Linux distribution ISOs that must be usable on machines with CD drives
but no DVD drives, then you can't do without the ability to burn CDR[W]
media, after all.

> I'm sure many in the Mandrake/Mandriva camp have heard about Liteon.
> There was a serious flaw two or so years ago with Mandrake and LiteOns
> that rendered the latter unusable.

Are you sure you're not thinking of LG (formerly Goldstar)?

> Over at Surplus, I believe I paid $50 for the dual layer drive.
> NEC ND-3520 AW.

Good point:  I forgot about the single- vs. dual-layer issue.  9GB
capacity with the latter, IIRC.