[conspire] Ubuntu 6.10 [was Re: ... distro news]

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Dec 20 17:35:11 PST 2006

Rick Moen:
> In particular, GNOME performance including but not limited to memory
> on my 256 MB and 320MB (or whatever it is) G3 iBooks -- whereas both
> Window Maker and (surprise!) Xfce4 performed well.
>
> I can't remember exactly when I last check, but it was definitely on
> current stable releases (primarily Ubuntu) within the last 1.5 years.

Each successive release of GNOME past about 2.6 has been focused on
reducing execution time and memory footprint overall.  Someone like jdub
would probably have more formal benchmarks of this, but I'd say that
anything from 2.10 onward is a damn sight faster than any of the 2.x
predecessors.

--
"N'aimez pas votre voiture?                             Nick Moffitt
Alor, l'heure est arrive pour la brulé!"          nick at teh.entar.net
	-- Mark Jaroski