[conspire] question about EIDE ATA hard drive to buy

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Tue Dec 19 19:22:27 PST 2006

Mark Weisler was showing me Monarch Computer and Newegg on Saturday.
Unfortunately, the Samsung 300GB UATA listed on Monarch on Saturday
at $87.99 is no longer available.

Using Google, I found "Samsung / SpinPoint T133 / 300GB / 7200 / 8MB /
ATA-100 / EIDE / Hard Drive" on TigerDirect.com
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2430430
for $99.99

I went to Central Computers today and found:
Western Digital 320GB UATA 8mb 7200rpm WD3200JB for $109.95

Seagate 400GB UATA 16mb 7200rpm ST3400620A for $169.95

I'm confused about brands.

I guess the advantage of buying from Central Computer is they
are local and close to where I live. Noone in the store, at
least when I was there, is familar with Linux.

Anyway, do people have experience good/bad with:
Samsung, Western Digital, Seagate?

Is there a recommended place to buy a hard drive?
I have a VA Linux 420 with IDE 30GB hard drive that I
want to replace with a larger drive.

Thank you,

Darlene Wallach