[conspire] CABAL tomorrow; distro news

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 8 17:33:01 PST 2006

So, tomorrow is the first CABAL meeting during this year's rainy season.
Just to reassure people:  We _will_ be moving it wholly indoors (unless
conditions radically improve).  That means the dining room, living room,
and (or so I intend) the garage.  I'm hoping to do major cleanup of the
garage to make this possible.  Power distribution out there is also a
little challenging, but we'll see what we can do.

It proved feasible (and comfortable!) at the old house, which was a lot
smaller, so it certainly should at 1105 Altschul Avenue.

Damn Small Linux 3.1 is out; I snagged a copy.  Quite nice for old
machines and/or those with really small hard drives, and as a very small
live CD.

The bigger news is that OpenSUSE 10.2 is out, so I've grabbed DVD images
for i386 and x86_64.

The first _development build_ of Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn" is out,
of which the i386 and x86_64 ISOs might be of interest for the
adventuresome (only), i.e., if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
People unwilling to work through significant bugs should stick with
"Edgy Eft" and wait for the process to play out.

(I haven't yet snarfed the ISOs for this build, dubbed "Herd 1", but
might do so if time permits.)

I also have the Debian 4.0 "Etch" Release Candidate for i386, which from
several trial runs appears to be _really_ solid.  I burned CD#1 (of 24!),
which is all you really need within reason.  (Anything not on it that
you want is Internet-fetchable.)

I hope to see y'all tomorrow afternoon.