[conspire] linuxmanship

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Dec 7 17:30:04 PST 2006

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:36:59 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Actually, you've just been introduced to the fine art of charientism --
> sort of like when an Englishman refers to someone as "clever".
>
> (It's a peculiarly English type of insult:  Foreigners are sometimes
> said to be "clever", i.e., tricky and untrustworthy.  A fine young
> Englishman with roughly the same qualities would be described as "a
> smart lad".)

Ah. Makes much more sense now.

>> OK, this time I don't really see what you mean.
>
> I summarily denied your premise about the essay advising readers to
> disregard non-Linux solutions.

Hmm. I'm having a little trouble reconciling the above statement with the
one below, which seemed self-evident, at least to me.

> But I'm not selling -- and neither is the essay.  The latter is a set of
> techniques one might use in business to overcome objections to a
> Linux-based solution.  It is not an attempt to sway random members of
> the public encountering it on the Web to adopt Linux-based anything.
>
> I imagine that Don's probably gotten a boatload of crank e-mail, over
> the years, from OS-advocacy cretins making that exact error.

This may sound odd, but I actually had the very text quoted below in mind
as a model for forming objections to Don's essay. It seemed to me that the
sheer volume of pleas for help with Windows that filter into everything
under the sun negated, to some degree, the lack of "a zero-sum competition
for popularity" as a force driving the advancement of Linux, because let's
face it: When somebody uses Windows, everybody suffers. This is where
Don's original intention has more meaning today. At the same time, the
approach the essay describes seeks to address sales resistance in the form
of objections to a Linux-based solution by fighting fire with fire, and
seems to just laugh off the idea that occasionally, water may also come in
handy. I see the sales resistance and the expectation of being
disingenuous as two pointer variables referring to the same memory
location. Feeding into an expectation of being disingenuous is what leads
to the rather sad results Edmund described. To counter that, I think that
expectation needs to be confronted head-on in some way.