[conspire] Dapper & Easyubuntu

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Mon Dec 4 14:20:11 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 01:34:32PM -0800, Paul Reiber wrote:
>> So I wonder what was stopping Pan?
>
>Odds are, writes got hung waiting for something to read first on the far side.

If by "far side" you mean the news server, I don't think so, because
the program immediately resumed operation when I put its process
in the foreground.  I think this has happened with other GUI programs
that were running in background and trying to print error messages.

>Why the far side stopped reading is anyone's guess.  Is this reproducable?

Probably not.  The bad article headers were a transient phenomenon.
I don't even use Pan anymore.  I've switched to v3.newzbin.com
($2/month) for finding binary posts, and hellanzb for downloading them.
Ngroups.net is $15/mo. for 150 GB of download, with about 77 days
retention.  As much or more stuff on there as on bittorrent, and it
downloads at 500KB/sec instead of 15.

For actually reading and posting articles, I use groups.google.com.
Sacrilege, I know, but it has infinite retention time and a great
search engine!