[conspire] Why Bother to Use Other Than Well Known Ports?

jim stockford jim at well.com
Fri Dec 1 08:39:28 PST 2006

    someone pitched me the plan for using high
number ports, at least for ssh:
    sshd is normally off.
    there is some daemon that listens for a code
from trusted hosts.
    upon verification of the code, the daemon
turns sshd on at a high number port, and the
user then logs in.
    the "daemon" could  be sshd itself, I suppose,
if somehow the authentication scheme can be
implemented (sshd listens on 22, authenticates,
then one way or another accepts login on the
high number port).

    well, that's my understanding of their plan.