[conspire] Re: going to CABAL maybe- carpooling from East Bay? + Ubuntu on iMac

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Sep 24 02:11:26 PDT 2005

> I plan on starting to head south sometime around 4. Last I checked,
> CalTrain still wasn't running on weekends...

Weekend CalTrain service has been running again for quite a while.
Here's the current northbound weekend schedule:

http://www.caltrain.com/timetable_effective_8_1_05.html#weekend-northbound

Northbound trains stop at Menlo Park every hour until 9:34pm, and then the
next train is the final one of the evening, stopping at 11:04pm.

> ...and not at all to the East Bay.

CalTrain _trains_ have never run anywhere other than up and down the
Peninsula and as far south as Gilroy.  During weekday working hours,
there are also several shuttle vans connecting to major employment
sites.

People bound to the East Bay (as Tony would be headed towards Alameda),
_if_ they took CalTrain into San Francisco, would then need to change
over to an AC Transit bus for the rest of the trip.  _However_, from
our house, you'd actually be better off catching a car ride to the
BART terminus in Milbrae.  (I guess I probably said Colma, earlier:
Sorry; that's where BART _used_ to end.)

Starting from Millbrae, it's a quick shot under the Bay to downtown
Oakland, and Tony would then take a local AC Transit bus over to Alameda
Island from there.