[conspire] Re: going to CABAL maybe- carpooling from East Bay? + Ubuntu on iMac

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Sep 23 18:17:48 PDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:54:35 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):
>
>> Hey, cool.  If you are doing Mac, maybe I'll come and
>> bring my blueberry iMac along and put Ubuntu on it too.
>
> We can do that.  We've successfully configured those with antique
> versions of Yellow Dog, so the Ubuntu 5.10 preview should be no
> challenge.

It's amazing how many of those machines never got their firmware
flash-updated for greater stability under Mac OS 9.x -- stability that's
required for OS X or Linux. So, in preparation for an install onto a
Blueberry iMac, I would ask what's installed on it now, and what you want
done with the current hard disk contents. There are also issues with the
CD drives in some of them that prevent reading CD-Rs burned either at
higher speeds or onto 700MB media rather than 650MB media. This may
necessitate a net-install. Some older iMacs may also have miscellaneous
other hardware issues. If installing from CD, you may want to give a
little thought as to whether you would like to start with the Ubuntu
installer or the Kubuntu installer. Some aspects of the set-up, such as
properly integrating IBM Java, will likely be unnecessarily problematic
without my help.

>> What time?
>
> The usual, which is 4pm until midnight-ish.  (Because it's our house,
> we're relaxed about closing time, but would prefer people in general
> not linger after the residents tuck it in.)
>
>> Anybody going from East Bay want to carpool?
>
> Alternatively, if you take BART to the Colma station, I can come up and
> pick you up.  (Unlike my driving to the downtown Menlo Park CalTrain
> station, a mere 3 km away, this offer doesn't scale to multiple arriving
> parties very well, so I'll ask that anyone wanting such a pickup consult
> with me in e-mail, first.)
>
> Of course, shlepping even an iMac along on BART would be a bit of a
> stretch; it's feasible mostly for people with laptops or mini-ATX
> systems.

Since I'm coming from San Francisco, it wouldn't be an imposition on me
either to stop by the Colma BART station along the way to pick somebody
up, and likewise Daly City BART. Details could be worked out with me
directly at +1(415)290-9339, but although I could accommodate an iMac, I
wouldn't have a clue how you would get it to that point. Once at CABAL,
arrangements for a return trip may be divined.

In this message, gtkspell flagged "shlepping" and suggested "schlepping"
instead. Despite that, it's still a great little piece of software.