[conspire] Re: 802.11 blues update

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Oct 28 16:34:44 PDT 2005

You say you want to throw this back to the list, but you replied to me
off-list, so I'm now posting it to the list.

Orinoco cards are 802.11b, not 802.11g, but if that's OK with you, you
can't go wrong with one. However, you should note that Calvin had a lot
of trouble with one individual Orinoco card, due to very old firmware
on the card. Some forms of Atheros chipsets, including the one used in
the WG511T, require the MadWifi drivers, which most distributions
provide. Other forms of Atheros chipsets require the in-kernel acx-pci
driver. These are still your best bet for CardBus 802.11g cards. There
was a time when Prism54 was the preferred 802.11g chipset for CardBus
under Linux, but the in-kernel driver for that is now dead, requiring
one to self-compile an out-of-kernel driver that has yet to show up in
any distro or kernel tree. Most people in the market for 802.11g
equipment for Linux just bite the bullet and get whatever is available
to use with either ndiswrapper or DriverLoader.
--
"Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do."
                                                       --National Lampoon