[conspire] (forw) Re: [TAG] Wiring a house with ethernet

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 09:08:40 PDT 2005

All of these fascinating wiring discussions
reminded me of one cable I was trying to use,
and I was puzzled why it didn't work for
gigabit but was OK for regular 10 and 100 base-T ethernet.

I was trying to use it for connecting from a
machine with Broadcom BCM5751 gigabit to a
Dell PowerConnect 2324 switch. The switch
has two gigabit ports on it.

The cable I tried to use has these markings:
E138922 (squiggle) AWM 2835 24AWG 60(deg)C
CSA LL81295 FT2 ETL VERIFIED EIA/TIA-558A
Cat .5e STP EVERNEW A2CE201

The curious "squiggle" separating the E138922
and the AWM looks like a backwards "R"
followed by a "U", in italics but leaning the
opposite direction to usual italics.

The "deg" is like a degrees Celsius symbol,
nothing unusual there :)

I'm guessing the cable could be intended for
token ring network, rather than ethernet,
but the wiring is the same so I was wondering
why it didn't work. I thought "CAT .5e" meant
it could handle the frequency, and "568A"
is the pin wiring for the cable which would
be OK, and "STP" meant shielded.

So any ideas why it doesn't work at all
for gigabit ethernet?

Cheers,