[conspire] How not to do UTF-8, example n+1

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Nov 22 00:48:01 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:14:34 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Daniel Gimpelevich (daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us):
>
>> If you're going to use UTF-8 in your e-mails, make sure your headers
>> don't say otherwise.
>
> Daniel, that _was_ ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1).  The first 256 members of the
> Unicode glyph set _are_ Latin-1.

The Unicode glyph set, yes. UTF-32, that is. The same is not at all true
of UTF-8. I am assuming the original character you intended to type was an
"e" with an accent acute over it. When crafted in UTF-8 and reinterpreted
as Latin-1, you get "A" with a "~" over it and a copyright symbol. That is
what appears in every copy of your message, except perhaps your local one.