[conspire] A bit more on that "worm"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 11 23:56:30 PST 2005

Quoting Ryan Russell (ryan at thievco.com):

> The attack vector is cross-platform, but doesn't the worm itself consist
> of a Linux ELF binary?

Good point.  I'd have to check on that.  Unfortunately, I had only a
little time to research matters (there were other things going on), and
my main focus was to attempt to properly understand the specific
vulnerabilities, and the nature of the software attacked.

Earlier today, one of the anti-virus firms is already talking about a
"B" variant, though I haven't yet looked up how that is claimed to
differ.  So far, I haven't seen any reason why B, or maybe C, D, or
Z-prime couldn't be specific to the exact same set of vulnerabilities on
some other IA32 *ix.  ;->