[conspire] ubuntu from Ross's 5.04 DVD edition

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at speakeasy.net
Tue May 24 07:16:49 PDT 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 11:06 PM, Peter Knaggs wrote:

> On the topic (perhaps old-hat to most folks at this stage):
> installing ubuntu "hoary hedgehog" 5.04 from Ross's DVD image
> (thanks Ross!).

Glad that it was helpful for you. Ubuntu is a nice distribution. It is
a bit different from straight up Debian ia a few ways. It is designed
for desktop users and easy install. They seem to have spent a lot
of effort on smoothing the rough edges of the user experience and
seem to have done a pretty good job of it judging by the popularity
of their results.

The standard Ubuntu is indeed Gnome based. The Kde desktop is
not part of it. To satisfy the Kde fans, they started the Kubuntu
program to build a Kde centric version of Ubuntu. The Kubuntu
project is not as far along as the Ubuntu project in the polishing
off the rough edges but is making rapid progress.

Another DVD based distro, Kde and Debian/Knoppix based that
is interesting is PaPix out of Portugal. There is an English version.
It is put out by the Univerities and has a large number of scientific
and educational programs. Of particular interest to me is the
inclusion of the gEda collection of programs used for Electronic
Design Automation, doing schematic capture, circuit simulation and
pc board layout and routing. PaPix has the gEda suite installed and
integrated into the menu system making life a bit easier.

Ross

A word to the wise: "Power tie" doesn't mean the kind that lights up.
(Frank & Ernest: Bob Thaves)