[conspire] linux on the Sun

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 19 23:27:02 PDT 2005

Quoting David Hartley (david at holistiq.com):

> ..the Sun E420 server, that is;  doable ?  Crazed idea ?

Let's see.  That's a dual-to-quad SPARC box, right?  Sure, absolutely
do-able.  Personally, I'd put Debian Sarge on it ("sun4u" install
images).  If it doesn't work out, you can of course just wipe the system
and re-load Solaris.

Reading material:

http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html
http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/sparc/

Last time we Linux-ised a SPARC machine at a CABAL meeting, I think it
was an Ultra10, and the only problem we had was that its ethernet
interface laughed at my 10Base-T hub and wouldn't talk to it.