[conspire] Box needed for open source demo

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at earthlink.net
Thu May 5 15:32:32 PDT 2005

On Thursday 05 May 2005 00:34, Alex Escalante wrote:
> there is a great deal for dells at the surplus place nearby
> http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item
>=COM10627

I have set parameters that I will not spend a dime on boxes to give
away, because I am trying to scale this up globally.  I am hoping
that we will be able to develop a web site which will help people
from all over the planet coordinate the canibalizing of computers
to share parts that would otherwise go into landfill.

For example, while filming in Brazil, we met Etienne Delacroix, a
professor in Uruguay who literally travels to the US with only a
few changes of underswear and socks so that he can bring back
suitcases of parts to build boxes out of.  He then installs open
source, of course, on these boxes, and shows his students how to
reinvent computers by so doing.  It's actually very fundamental
science that he's getting into.

So I think that if we could amass stuff, we might be able to
coordinate this better so that Etienne can actually take more than
two changes of underwear on his next trip to Boston.  Heh.

http://www.DIYparts.org