[conspire] Re: Christian draws out a Sun Microsystems guy

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Tue May 3 07:51:15 PDT 2005

Hi Rick,

Rick Moen <rick <at> linuxmafia.com> writes:
> If I'm still missing the boat, please do let me know.
>
> [1] In http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Devtools/java.html

I think it is mainly correct, but clearly dated.
Maybe you could add the following, more up to date reports to that page:

GNU Classpath overview - November 2004
http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/GNUClasspathSummit/

Latest GNU Classpath, gcj, kaffe, apache, ikvm, cacao, java-gnome, and friends
development meeting - 26/27 February 2005
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/events/escape_fosdem05.html
(Lots of reports and status updates - including Dalibor his kaffe presentation)

GCJ - past, present, and future - April 6, 2005
http://lwn.net/Articles/130796/
(Focus on GCJ 4 as distributed with GCC 4.0)

Debian GNU/Linux support for packages writting in the java programming language
http://java.debian.net/index.php/MovingJavaToMain
(All using free software of course)

There really is a lot of support in the Free Software community now to "Escape
the Java Trap". That interview kind of suggests the gcj isn't fully supported by
the OpenOffice.org community. But in fact most patches needed for full gcj
support have already been accepted and committed to OOo CVS. The problem of
course is that GCC 4.0 has been out for just a few days now so most people
haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Cheers,

Mark