[conspire] 2 Daniel, in particular, again. + got soket A cpu 2spare?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 10 12:26:29 PST 2005

> There is no SATA on these boards. They are too old.

However, the same rule of thumb applies to VIA's PATA chipsets.

> Yes, there is that rule. What happened was that where the specs said PDC
> 20265....

BIOS-assisted manufacturer-proprietary software RAID, that.

If I had one of those, and wanted to RAID, I'd eschew the manufacturer's
software RAID scheme and use Linux's well-tested, quite decent "md"
software RAID driver.  It'd be faster, more reliable, and I could move
the array to other supporting hardware at will.

More than one person has been burned by manufacturer-proprietary
formatting schemes (e.g., such software RAID schemes), as follows:  You
buy one of those motherboards, and follow the path of least resistance
in loading your OS and data onto the provided RAID1 (mirrored) volume.
A year later, your motherboard becomes faulty.

You happen to have decided that you'd rather upgrade to a different
motherboard make/model, but now you're stuck:  In order to get to your
data, you'll need to buy _another of the same_ motherboard.  Even though
you'd rather buy a better one from someone else.

If you use the "md" driver, that can't happen.