[conspire] Toshiba laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 21 14:34:28 PDT 2005

----- Forwarded message from Bram Goodwin <bram at bramfoto.com> -----

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:56:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bram Goodwin <bram at bramfoto.com>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Installation of Linux
	HTML_MESSAGE,HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG,MIME_HTML_ONLY autolearn=no
	version=3.0.2

   I recently bought a Toshiba L14-104 laptop computer that uses an Intel
   Celeron M-350 chip, and came with Windows XP installed;
   I am interested in using a Linux operating software, possibly Suse
   9.0, since I used it on another machine before; I have questions about
   using certain software, and its ability to use WiFi;
   I was thinking of coming to the BALUG meeting in Menlo Park on
   saturday June 25;  Is it still being held?  Could I get help in
   installing Linux at that time?
   get back to me,
   bram
   --
   bram goodwin
   photographer
   bram at bramfoto.com

> I recently bought a Toshiba L14-104 laptop computer that uses an Intel
> Celeron M-350 chip, and came with Windows XP installed;
> I am interested in using a Linux operating software, possibly Suse
> 9.0, since I used it on another machine before; I have questions about
> using certain software, and its ability to use WiFi;
> I was thinking of coming to the BALUG meeting in Menlo Park on
> saturday June 25;  Is it still being held?  Could I get help in
> installing Linux at that time?
> get back to me,
> bram

The CABAL meeting (not BALUG per se[1]) will indeed occur on Saturday, June
25, 4 pm through midnight at my and my wife's house in Menlo Park -- as
shown on the meeting schedule at http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/ .

We keep quite a large selection of Linux distributions on hand for use,
including SUSE Linux 9.3 Professional Edition.  See:
http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#distros  We would be glad to
help you with that or any other Linux or BSD installation.

SUSE 9.0 would be a very bad idea at this late date unless you were to
take extraordinary (and immediate) steps to bring it up to date, since
it was released on October 24, 2003, and thus is 1 2/3 years old and
probably no longer maintained.

Ideally, you should defragment your XP partition(s) before attending,
e.g., by downloading and using DiskeeperLite.

You should also read any pages in the Linux on Laptops site's Toshiba
section (http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/toshiba.html) about models
similar to your L14-104.  By the way, I can find no Web pages whatsoever
about such a model, so you may wish to double-check that.

For lack of ability to find your Toshiba model, I have not been able to
assist you by identifying your wireless chipset.  FYI.

[1] You wrote to CABAL's link on BALUG's Web site.

----- End forwarded message -----