[conspire] I get mail, part 2

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 11 14:22:15 PDT 2005

----- Forwarded message from yevgeny at e-sim.co.il -----

From: yevgeny at e-sim.co.il
To: rick at linuxmafia.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:17:21 +0200
Subject: Reset perspective move my toolbar group from the end to the
	 middle of the Workbench Window Tool bar

Hello, Rick!

I have created a class UDOEditorActionBarContributor that extends
EditorActionBarContributor. This class create and add to the end of the
Workbench Window Tool bar my actions. All works OK but when I select the Eclispe
Window->Reset Perspective menu item my actions moved to the middle( after the
"Print" action).

Can you help me resolve my problem?

Thank you,
Yevgeni

> I have created a class UDOEditorActionBarContributor that extends
> EditorActionBarContributor. This class create and add to the end of
> the Workbench Window Tool bar my actions. All works OK but when I
> select the Eclispe Window->Reset Perspective menu item my actions
> moved to the middle( after the "Print" action).
>
> Can you help me resolve my problem?

Sadly, and I do mean this in all friendship:  I really can't.

I get a lot of mail like yours, maybe half a dozen every day of the
year, on the mistaken impression that I'm involved with any of a huge
number of software projects that I have nothing to do with -- solely
because those projects link as a generic self-help resource to an essay
I co-wrote called "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way".

That essay is intended as a generic aid to people trying to get
technical help, advising them on how to get assistance fruitfully.

The first thing that essay says is:  Don't write to the authors of this
essay for help.  We're not a helpdesk.  We don't know anything about
your problem.  And, even if we did, we'd probably be expecting people to
offer consulting fees, not coming to use for free-of-charge help.

The second thing the essay says is:  Ask for help in the correct forum,
which among other things includes pretty much never, ever just writing
to random individuals you think are experts and expecting them to help
you in private for free.

If you really want to make me happy, please do at your convenience read
the essay.  You might benefit, and it'd make me feel a bit less like I
wasted my time writing it.

--
L'hitraot,
Rick Moen                      "vi is my shepherd; I shall not font."