[conspire] Running graphical apps as root (was: conspire Digest, Vol 26, Issue 2)

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at speakeasy.net
Mon Jul 11 07:30:13 PDT 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 8:22 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

>> Pai-Pix looked fine but is a bit old.
>>

> Every distro release is "a bit old" after a short while.  You
> notice?  ;->
> That is, because pretty much every distro release is out of date for
> most of its useful life, the ease and effectiveness of maintenance is
> really, really important -- and in my view matters a great deal more
> than how up to date the initial software load is.
>
> I used really tiny and rather aging "netinst" installers for Debian
> 3.0
> woody for a long time.  The fact that they didn't include more than
> about 50 packages, and all of those obsolete, didn't matter, because I
> immediately updated and expanded it from Internet package
> repositories,
> anyway.

It seems that some people put a great premium on having the latest most
cutting edge distribution. I agree with Rick that life on the
bleeding edge
has its problems and would rather have a bit 'older' distribution
with the
rough edges smoothed out  and a little more polish.

Pai-Pix is a very large distribution that is oriented towards
education and
scientific programs. It includes the geda suite of electronic design
automation
tools which I found interesting.

Ross